Tuesday, March 23

Fun Paschal Learning...

During Holy Week and Pascha (Easter), there are many times that the faithful hold lit candles during the services. Children inevitably want to get in on the action. Last year, we offered the little ones these battery operated versions and they were a huge success! I bought ten votives from Target for the children this year - hopefully there will be enough!

We are hoping to sprout wheat on Palm Sunday for a pretty Paschal centerpiece. We did this two weeks before Easter last year, and I was shocked at how quickly the wheat grass grew and how much Sugar Plum loved it! I think that this is the project I am looking forward to doing the most this year!

Eggs, eggs, eggs! I bought some pretty eggs to fill for a family egg hunt on Pascha morning. We'll also use these for again for our parish egg hunt on Thomas Sunday (the Sunday following Easter). Each family with children donates two dozen filled eggs for us to hide. It is so much fun!! I am also planning on trying some natural egg dying with the children on Holy Saturday. Of course, we'll have the beautiful red eggs at church after the Liturgy! I can't wait!

What are some of the things you are planning for your little ones these next few weeks?

4 comments:

Mimi said...

What a great idea for the electric votives!

Pres. Kathy said...

I agree with Mimi - what a great idea. I am definitely going to do this with my little guy. We are planning to dye some eggs, make Greek cookies, and sweet bread. We will also be getting the church ready for the various services - we are going to have our Metropolitan here for Palm Sunday. Lastly, the house will need to be ready because Easter is at our house this year! Oh Boy - I got a lot to do!

Kindle Fire Mom said...

You've inspired me to do the wheat planting but I have one question--where do I get wheat seeds? Can I buy a bag of stuff that looks like yours at our Persian market? Or do I need to go to a garden store?

Thanks!

MamaBirdEmma said...

I found mine at the health food store. I bet that a good grocery store would have them too... I don't have many near me, so I just cut right to the chase with the health food store:) HTH!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...