Monday, April 6

Spring Seed Project for Toddlers...

Last Wednesday, Sugar Plum and I planted wheat berries in an Easter basket she got last year... Look how quickly the wheat grass grew!! I am so happy that we planted wheat berries as opposed to flower seeds because it was almost instant gratification for an impatient toddler who wants to see results NOW! I soaked the berries for 24 hours in a bowl of water on my counter and then we lined the basket with a plastic bag, filled it with dirt, and spread the berries thickly over the top of the soil. We sprayed the seeds with water and covered them with some plastic wrap to keep them warm. Within a few hours, we could see the seeds sprouting! This has been a great experince for our little one... plus, we have a pretty centerpiece for Pascha!

9 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow! You weren't kidding about how great it looks so quickly. I don't think I'll have a chance before Easter, but I think we'll try this once the holiday is over.

Michelle M. said...

I love this! Where can you get wheat berries?

MamaBirdEmma said...

Hi Michelle!

I found ours at a local health food store. I think that your little ones will love this!

Courtney, you may be able to get it growing in time for your Easter... That pic was taken Sunday afternoon five days after planting... I almost wish that we had waited a little while to plant ours. I wonder if it will still look as good in 12 days.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. I gave up artificial Easter grass years ago after swearing it off one year when I spent over a month finding it in surprise places all over the house. This is a beautiful idea and I love that it is natural.

With love in Christ,
katherine

A Little Of A Lot said...

Love it !! Do you think GNC would carry wheat berries ?
We just planted grass seed in a 1/2 plastic easter egg and Reagan was thrilled to see it grow, I like the way yours looks a whole lot more

Anonymous said...

I tried it without dirt and it did not come out well...I am going to try again now with the dirt...Thanks so much for posting this...I really wanted real grass this year, and maybe we will have it :-)

Anonymous said...

How lovely!

Jane G Meyer said...

Thank you for this idea! I love it--I'm off to search for wheat berries now :) Blessings.

Michelle said...

I hear pets like to eat this. It looks beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...