Sunday, April 13

Copywork: The Song of the Willow-Catkin Fairy...


I spend a little time each week looking for interesting things for my children to write in their copybooks, usually based upon a theme.  I will post them here each week as a record for myself and as a help to any other family that wishes to use them.


::::: 
 
The Song of the Willow-Catkin Fairy

The people call me Palm, they do;
They call me Pussy-willow too.
And when I', full in bloom, the bees
Come humming round my yellow trees.

The people trample round about
And spoil the little trees, and shout;
My shiny twigs are thin and brown:
The people pull and break them down.

To keep a Holy Feast, they say,
They take my pretty boughs away.
I should be glad-I should not mind-
If only people weren't unkind.

Oh, you may pick a piece, you may
(So dear and silky, soft and grey);
But if you're rough and greedy, why
You'll make the little fairies cry.

Flower Fairies of the Spring
Cicely Mary Barker

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...