Wednesday, August 8

Knitting...




I have now been consistently knitting for about two weeks!  I started off just knitting away with some white cotton yarn and by last Sunday had decided that I would bind off on that and find a washcloth pattern to use.  I spent some time looking on the internet and was a bit discourage by the fact that I didn't know how to read patterns.  Eventually I landed on the blog Homespun Living (which I have enjoyed reading in the past!) and found Deb's patterns to be easy to follow!  

I decided that I was going to figure out how to make the Petite French Farmhouse Dishcloth Pattern No.1, but that I would do it all in white.  I watched a video on purling on YouTube and after a little while got it down!  As of tonight, I have made eight washcloths!  They are small and so I will be using them for bathing the little ones.  I also plan to knit three, bundle them with ribbon, and add a fancy bottle of baby soap for any new little ones that are born.  

My knitting goal for August is to get 30 washcloths made.  I'd like ten for bathtime and twenty for the kitchen.  I think that I will need kitchen washcloths that are a bit bigger, so I may branch out and find a new pattern to learn from Homespun Living.  Maybe the Waffle Knit Dishcloth? I'd really like to learn how to make the Baby Fern Stitch Dishcloth, but that might be pushing it for my skill level!

I am really looking forward to continuing to improve my knitting.  I am hoping to make scarves out of the blue and green yarn for our two older children and then perhaps make a little vest for Button.  It is nice to have the yarn shop nearby in case I get stuck!

What crafts are you learning now?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to learn how toblock my knitting soon! I'm in the midst of a baby blanket for my cousin's little guy soon to come, so when the blocks are ready I'll be doing that.

Katie

Bethany said...

I love knitting! You may want to check out knitting help.com. They have great videos on how to do different stitches, etc. They also have a glossary that tells you want things mean in patterns with videos attached on how to do them. Though I have been knitting for years I have used this site whenever a pattern calls for something I have not done before. Happy knitting!

priest's wife - S.T./ Anne Boyd said...

I thought of you when I read this article http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/western-media-concealing-facts-about-female-rock-bands-desecration-of-russi

Sarah in Indiana said...

The Waffle Knit dishcloth is my standby. I have knit a lot of those now. I started out using colorful yarn for them, but I find that for kitchen cloths I dark yarn is better because they get very stained by tea and coffee at our house.

elizabeth said...

that is so fun! I would love to see what you make next! :)

MamaBirdEmma said...

Katie, getting to the point of having to block something seems so daunting to me! Good luck!

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Bethany! I will definitely head over to knittinghelp.com soon!

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thanks for the article, Priest's Wife! I will check it out!

MamaBirdEmma said...

Good point, Sarah! I have been knitting all of my washcloths and dishcloths in a white cotton yarn. Hopefully they will wear well. If not, I will make more!

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thanks, Elizabeth! Do you knit?

Unknown said...

From what I can see in the photo you've picked it up extremely quickly! That stockinette stitch looks beautiful. Especially for a beginner. I second the comment about knittinghelp.com. Excellent tutorials there.

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thanks, Nancy! Your comment couldn't have come at a better time. I am really struggling with the waffle knit dishcloth (mainly losing my place and dropping stitches). I'm going to keep going though! Eventually, I'll get it right!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...