Monday, February 20

Lenten Meals...


Orthodox Christians abstain from different foods during fasting periods. Though I have been Orthodox for most of my life (my parents converted when I was three), I still find it hard to plan, shop for, and cook fasting meals. Here is the general meal rotation for this Great Lent:

Sunday: Seafood
Monday: Soup
Tuesday: Mexican
Wednesday: Soup and Sandwiches
Thursday: Veggie Burgers
Friday: Salad
Saturday: Pasta

I know that there will be overlap (pasta salad, anyone?), but I am hoping that this will help motivate me in the kitchen. I will also be making bread each day (Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day) and keeping fruits, fresh banana or pumpkin bread, hummus/babaganoush, pretzels, and nuts around. We are still working on the church and are feeding hard-working, hungry men, so food will have to sustain them through the work day.

6 comments:

elizabeth said...

Nice... my Romanian friend told me how to make a traditional tomato and bean dish... hoping to make it as some point!

HoneyBee52000 said...

Evlogiete! I too, am Orthodox, and kicking into high gear for Great Lent, Awesome! Would you be willing to share a cpl recipes of your fave fasting breads? Those are 'tough' to come by! Do you make your own hummus? I'll be bean and pasta like crazy these next several weeks, lol!

Alexandra said...

I like your idea about having a rotation for the days of the week. That would certainly make it easier to do a menu plan.

Maria said...

I have found that this kind of plan is a lot easier to stick to than having specific recipes picked out for each day. I think I'll be doing something similar.

Maria said...

Vegans also abstain from eggs and consider all animals meat (seafood included). But if you want some vegan recipes I would highly recommend FatFreeVegan.com.

Michelle M. said...

I am working on my Lenten menu plan this afternoon and i am going to follow your suggestion! What a great idea to make life easier. Our Parish does a Soup and Salad on Wednesday evenings after Pre-Sanctified, so I (usually) get that one night off, unless I'm contributing to the dinner at church.
Thanks for sharing this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...