Friday, February 24

Feminine Friday: Books on Femininity, Elegance, and Charm...


Recently, a blog reader named Jeannine asked me to recommend some of my favorite books on femininity. Since books on this topic are among my favorite to read, I thought that I would list them in a post for Feminine Friday!

Here are the non-fiction books that I enjoy reading on femininity, elegance, and charm:

Style Prescription: Dressing the Body You Have to Create the Body You Want
A Guide to Elegance
What Would Jackie Do?
How to Be a Lady
Wear More Cashmere
Better Than Beauty*
Style
Charm*
The Woman You Want to Be*
How to Live Beyond Your Means*
A Year of Style

I also really enjoy reading fiction by authors that write about shining examples of femininity and homelife. Some of my favorites include:

Miss Read*
Laura Ingalls Wilder
L.M. Montgomery
Grace Livingston Hill


What are your favorite books on this topic?

Titles with an * following them are my favorites!

7 comments:

Mimi said...

Upon your recommendation, I read the first of the Miss Read Village School series, and enjoyed it very much. I am looking forward to the rest.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love Miss Read's meticulous descriptions of scenes (remember the nuns folding washing in Italy?), afternoon-teas with Amy, the quandaries of deciding which dress to wear, the various dinners she gives and functions she attends. Just fabulous books! I love L.M. Montgomery's books also.
[Valerie]

Jeannine said...

It looks like I'll be starting with Miss Read and I love L.M. Montgomery's books as well.

Thanks for posting both fiction and non-fiction book titles. I'm looking forward to exploring the non-fiction books.

I love how you offer the 'You might also like:' after your post. These Feminine Friday posts are great.

Thanks again, Jeannine

Anonymous said...

I read your blog fairly regularly yet I never comment. I'm pretty convinced you would love these books:

Sacred Pampering Principles by Debrena Jackson Gandy.

Mama Gena's School of Womanly Arts by Regena Thomashauer.

The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

Not everything in them is worth keeping, but on the whole they are gems.

Dany

Anonymous said...

Um sorry for commenting twice. I just realised that the books I recommend have got quite a few terrible reviews on Amazon.

It's true that Debrena Gandy talks a little bit about Chackras and other new-agey stuff. But focusing on this detracts from her achievements of reconnecting overworked black women with a sense of abundance and gratitude. Regena is in the same league. These are deep books at the core, with a bit of fluff that can be easily ignored.

As for Robert Greene, many people hate his book because they find it manipulative. He's just stating out what character traits ARE attractive (youthfulness, saintliness etc...). You can try to fake them to manipulate others, or better still you can try to have them for real and that IMHO is real style.

Anyway as I said I've been reading your blog for years and really like it. I'm married to an Anglican minister and blog a little bit at donotfreeze.blogspot.com Do you read the Pious Sodality of Church Ladies? They're RC but remind me a lot of your blog.

Dany

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thanks for the book recommendations, Dany! In this day and age, one has to be an expert in taking the good with the bad. I will check these books out!

I'll also pop over to your blog and check out the Pious Sodality of Church Ladies tonight!

Unknown said...

2018809 leilei3915
mulberry bags
nike outlet
christian louboutin
coach outlet online
pandora outlet
ed hardy outlet
rolex replica watches for sale
uggs outlet
moncler jackets
adidas yeezy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...