Thursday, November 18

Homemaking in Our Nest...


During this season of my life where I have little ones, our house isn't ever going to be spotless. However, I have found that if I can keep on top of the laundry, tidy up as we go through the day, and keep the kitchen in basic order, things can be kept up pretty easily! If we have a difficult morning and I can't get everything done, I know that I'll have a second chance in the afternoon or evening or even the next day.

As far as my weekly cleaning routine goes, cleaning in our house generally means tidying up, dusting, and vacuuming in the living areas and in the bathrooms and kitchen disinfecting counters, sinks, tub/shower, and toilet and washing the floor). I save deeper cleaning and organizing for three or four times a year (Great Lent (March/April), the Apostles Fast (June), Dormition Lent (August), and Nativity (November/December).

My main goal in homemaking is to make our house a comfortable, clean, warm, and happy place that my husband and children want to be in. Though it is hard to keep up when there are little ones in your care, it is worth the effort. Living in an atmosphere where everything is in it's place and attractively organized helps to cultivate comfort and joy in a family's life. I dislike cleaning as much as the next person, but I try to show the happiness I feel that I am able to stay home and clean, cook, and nest to my heart's content. This attitude encourages my husband on days when working two jobs is frustrating, tiring and daunting and hopefully it shows my little ones that I am fully present for them and enjoying their childhood, rather than looking at my life as endless drudgery.

:::::

Daily Homemaking Routines


Morning
  • Breakfast
  • Tidy Kitchen
  • Laundry
  • Tidy Bedrooms and Master Bath
  • Homemaking Project
Afternoon
  • Lunch
  • Tidy Kitchen
  • Laundry
  • Tidy Downstairs
  • Cleaning
Evening
  • Dinner
  • Tidy Kitchen and Sweep Floor
  • Take Out Garbage and Recycling
  • Laundry
  • Beautify - I try to go one step further in making things a little more special... some nights, I organize the crayon caddy, others I change the centerpiece on the table, or put a new picture in a frame, etc.

Notes: Each time laundry appears on my list doesn't necessarily mean that I am just washing clothes. Often, in the morning I will throw in a load, put it into the dryer in the afternoon, and then fold and put it all away in the evening. I try to have all of our laundry put away before bed... otherwise, it gets piled up everywhere and is a truly daunting task as the mound grows!

Weekly Cleaning Routine
  • Monday: Clean Bathrooms and Wash Towels
  • Tuesday: Clean Bedrooms, Upstairs Hallway, Steps and Wash Sheets
  • Wednesday: Clean Living Room, Play Room, and Dining Room
  • Thursday: Clean Kitchen and One Appliance
  • Friday: Clean Office, Entrance, and Laundry Room

4 comments:

I Live in an Antbed said...

An actual plan helps so much with efficient use of my time. And remembering the purpose behind the tasks keeps my heart in the right posture. Thank you for the post.

Shana said...

I always like to see how others keep their houses running. Your blog has been a great source of encouragement for me on those days when I would just like to veg! Being 8 months pg doesn't help the energy level either :). Thanks for sharing your routines, they are similar to mine with a few added things that I think I may add.

Blessings,
Shana

adri said...

Dearest Emily,

This is the hardest thing for me - to keep the house clean and also my husband's constant complaint that he likes being "at home" at home... Having 3 little ones around all the time, it is difficult to get organized. But you're the proof one acn get organized really. I am aesthetically relaxed and sometimes feel everything so overwhelming. I am not the clean maniac that other friends of mine are, I could live in the jungle if it were the case, no problem! But I am trying the best to make the house a welcoming place for my family and especially for my husband who is also having 2 jobs...
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Love,
adri

Aubri said...

It's very wise for those of us with small children to remember that our homes will not be spotless. It's so easy for me to feel discouraged and frustrated about that sometimes. But really I could clean and organize from sun up to sun down and there would still be much more to do! I like that you use your Lenten seasons to do the deep cleaning and do something to "Beautify" the home each day. Very good ideas. I too had days designated for certain areas of the house, I got away from that. I should give it another try. Thank you for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...