Sunday, August 22

Peach Crisp...


This makes a scrumptious breakfast or dessert! It can easily be made Lenten or can be enjoyed with a dollop of whipped cream or a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Ingredients
5 cups of peeled and sliced fruit - apples, peaches, pears, apricots, blueberries*, cherries*, rhubarb*, or a combination
2 to 4 T. granulated sugar
1 cup regular rolled oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup coconut

Method
For filling thaw fruit, if frozen. Place fruit in an ungreased baking dish. Stir in granulated sugar.

For topping, in a mixing bowl combine oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and coconut. With a pastry blender or clean hands, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle topping over filling.

Bake in 375 degree F oven for 30 -35 minutes (40 for thawed fruit) ir until fruit is tender and topping is golden. Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream, or non-dairy whipped topping, if desired.

*Blueberries, Cherries, and Rhubarb filling should be mixed with 3 T. of flour and have the granulated sugar increased to about 1/2 a cup (depending on taste).

6 comments:

Bethany Hudson said...

Very similar to my crisp recipe :-) How would you alter it for Lent? Doesn't it need the sugar?

MamaBirdEmma said...

During the fasts we don't eat meat or dairy (though I eat dairy when I am pregnant or breastfeeding and so do the children). If I was making this during a fast, I would use dairy free margarine rather than butter. Sugar is fine for us during lent. Sorry for the confusion!

elizabeth said...

I love fruit crisps! thanks for the reminder that it can be lenten too! :)

Bethany Hudson said...

Emily - So funny! We eat dairy (no meat) but not sugar! Aren't the different traditions so fascinating? I always think so.

Anonymous said...

we love peach crisp too! My recipe is basically the same. I like to put vanilla in the crumble and have found white peaches taste amazing in a crisp.

Michelle said...

Oh my, this is so much more tasty looking than the crisp I brought you while you were on bedrest. As I said, baking is not my talent, lol. I apologize profusely, hahaha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...