Tuesday, August 24

Daily Rhythm...

.:Coloring Together, March 2010.:

While we are planning on doing preschool work just two days a week, I also want to have a rhythm to our days. I don't believe in over-scheduling children, but I think that there is merit in having a general idea of what one's day and week will bring. Because life can be hectic, I like to plan for reading, art, and going places we find interesting. I know myself... if I don't plan for these important things, they will get pushed aside and before I know it, bedtime will arrive and we will have forgotten to read!

Each day, we will strive to read aloud three times a day. We will sit down with storybooks after breakfast, before our nap, and before bed. During one of those times (probably before bed), Father John will read a selection from the Children's Bible Reader to the little ones. Prior to Button's arrival, we read this frequently nearly everyday. Now that life is getting back to normal (or more accurately, new normal!), we can get back in the habit.

We will try to set aside time for arts and crafts on a daily basis. Some of the mediums we like are paint, watercolors, colored pencils/watercolor pencils, window crayons, play dough, collage...

Daily adventures will also be a part of our rhythm. Exploring our development's nature paths and playground, taking walks around the neighborhood, venturing to the town library to pick out books, taking part in story hour on our errand day, going for nature walks with Papa at the state park, and visiting the beach are a few of the things that we like to do. It is also a goal to get outside as much a possible during the day. Even if we don't go anywhere, taking the children out to ride bikes, dig in the dirt, water plants, and just wander around the yard looking for bugs is a perfect way to spend the day.

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be days that we get very little accomplished... it is just how things are with little ones in the house. However, I know what I would like to aim for each day and hopefully, our children will get what they need to thrive, learn, and grow!

1 comment:

Michelle M. said...

I like the idea of reading after breakfast. It would be very easy for us to transition from Morning prayers to reading together. I think I will begin that tomorrow. We already read before "resting time" and before bed, so adding another set time is a wonderful idea. We read at random times throughout the day, but I prefer having an rhythm to the day as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...