A Homemaker's Basic Wardrobe
Jackets and Outerwear
- Delicates in a nude shade - wearing only nude undergarments takes the guesswork and potential for disaster out of dressing. if you are wearing nude underwear, you don't have to worry that your undergarments are on display.
- Stockings, tights, and socks - make sure that you have plenty of each of these items. They are used quite often and it is always a headache to realize that you don't have something you need because everything is dirty or ripped.
- Slips - Though these are not really "in fashion" right now, neither is a see-through skirt!
- Plenty of knit shirts (polos, tees, etc.) - when you are at home cleaning, cooking, gardening, and taking care of children (especially babies) it is inevitable that you will end up with a spill on your shirt. If you find a top that looks wonderful on you, buy as many as you can afford! Basic shirts are the staple of a homemaker's wardrobe!
- Sweaters - purchasing several flattering sweaters (whether they be button front or pullover) can really improve the look of a plain top and bottom.
- Nice tops - If you tend to wear a lot of skirts, try to find seeral "nicer" shirts to wear to church, dinner parties, etc. When you need to dress up a bit, tee-shirts just won't cut it!
- Skirts and/or Trousers - purchase bottoms in durable, yet attractive materials. Some ones to consider are: corduroy, chino, linen, cotton, knit materials, and even some that are mixed with a bit of a stretch. Find out which silhouette looks best on you and stick with it!
Jackets and Outerwear
- Jackets - Wearing a jacket with a good, flattering shape really adds a lot to basic outfits! Purchase one in a color and weight you can wear for several seasons
- Outerwear - Think about your whole wardrobe and environment before purchasing a coat. Is your style dressy? You might like a wool coat. Favor a sporty look? A parka might be best for you. Live in a windy, cold place? Look for something stylish, yet warm.
- Dressy shoes
- Casual shoes
- Scarves, shawls, hats, gloves
- Grownup hair accessories
- Choose a color palette and stick to it as much as possible. If you do this, everything will go together!
- Avoid clothing that needs to be dry cleaned!
- Iron your clothing!!
- Don't wear shorts!