Wednesday, November 29

Becoming a Feminine Lady...

I have been thinking a lot about guiding little girls in becoming feminine ladies... especially my little girl. I began thinking about this because of a conversation I had with my father-in-law and my mother-in law. My husband's father and I were discussing how excited we were about seeing the baby with bows and barrettes in her hair (when she gets some!). I expressed how much I enjoy dressing her up in little jumpers, tights, and other girly items. My father-in-law thought that this was great, but my mother -in-law wasn't so sure. She felt that doing this would "force" E. into becoming a girly-girl. "What if she wants to be a tomboy and isn't interested in wearing things like that or doing her hair?" I had no answer to her query.

What would I do if my daughter didn't enjoy being feminine? Though some may doubt what I am going to say next, I feel very strongly about the topic. I think that little girls have an inborn desire to be feminine and that they need to be encouraged to develop that femininity completely. Many women today (including my mother-in-law) weren't trained up in a way that honored the God-given roles of masculinity and femininity. I feel that it is my job as a mother to cultivate these tendencies in my children! Though it will be a hard task, I am excited to try! Please let me know if you have any hints for us!

8 comments:

theups said...

I think that all little girls were created to be feminine. Society tells them that there is another (sometimes better, in their opinion) way to live- like a tomboy. This is not what girls were created for.

His,
Mrs. U

Cherish the Home said...

I think you're right Emma! I've found that most little girls are influenced by watching their moms and also how their father's treat them. Do they treat them like they wished they had a son or like a precious, feminine girl.

And besides noone said that a lady can't learn about and enjoy sports and such but she can still be a lady while doing it.

Anonymous said...

i agree, Emma! God created women to be feminine and men to be masculine. Society, or should I say Satan, has done an almost thorough work in switching around our God-given roles and traits. That is why I am so thankful for sites such as yours which help and encourage in all ways to show our femininity. All I can tell you is to keep teaching your daughter; keep the strength, and persevere! God bless you!

Terri
momsdailythoughts.blogspot.com

Jess Connell said...

Definitely. I was raised as a tomboy- played with the boys, little league baseball (with the boys), on the drumline, debate team, etc... and I'm just now learning more of what it means to be not just female, but a lady.

Great thoughts!
Jess

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thank you ladies! You are very kind to indulge me with all of my many ramblings!

Mom-E said...

IMO? Keep dressing her and grooming her for femininity. If she decides she doesn't care for it- don't force it (else she'll be even more driven to turn away from what you're steering her toward) but DO insist on certain standards (whatever those may be for you). Consider the issue, then decide what is and what is not negotiable. Perhaps you prefer dresses and she wants to wear pants. OK- but no tight fitting ones. (Example). It's a pity they don't come with specific instruction manuals, isn't it? LOL! ;)

Unknown said...

if the gender roles of masculine and feminine are "god given" then why do you have to tell children which one they are supposed to follow?

If it were "god-given", wouldn't those traits be innate?

Anonymous said...

You are completely right. Boys used to be initiated into Manhood, Men have lost themselves and many insecurity's because of making them more feminine these days. Same goes for girls, feminist groups making women more masculine. This has to stop. Its OK for men and women to accept the opposite blueprints in them (tiny), but they should really be introduced and truly develop there natural feminism.
Grrrr!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...