Wednesday, November 29


Have any of you read the book "How to be a Lady?" I saw it on the Vision Forum website and think that we might like to purchase it. If you've read it, please let me know what you think! Here is a little blurb from the website on the book:
“What you are while you are a girl, you will be when you become a woman.” Somewhere within the recesses of every girl’s heart is the desire to act, and be treated, as a lady. But a true lady is more than just graceful and feminine; she has a Christ-centered character that regulates her inner thoughts and motives, as well as her outward graces. In this book, originally published in 1850, extraordinarily practical wisdom is offered to young girls in the practice of developing womanly character. The girl’s equivalent to Thoughts for Young Men, this book is excellent for mothers and daughters and a must-read for every young lady-in-training!

7 comments:

theups said...

I really, really like your blog!! I love your encouragement in the area of being a lady. Thank you so very much!! In a society where girls are taught to be "women", I am soo very thankful to have found a place where girls are encouraged to be "ladies"!! :)

Thank you!

His,
Mrs. U

Amanda said...

I have read that book and love it! In a way it reminds me of "Beautiful Girlhood" by M. Hale. Some of the topics include treatment of siblings, education of mind and body, prayer life, manners, and lots more! I would definitely recommend it. :-)

Mimi said...

How to Be a Lady sounds like a wonderful book. If you read it, let us know how you like it. I did enjoy reading Beautiful Girlhood, even though I was an adult by the time I found out about it.

I always feel like I get a mini-vacation when I visit your site. The illustrations you use are always so lovely. And, I love the positive focus on the fun aspects of being a woman.

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thank you for the book review, Mandy Grace! I think that we're going to order the book soon.

I appreciate your generous compliments so much Mrs. U. and Elizabeth! It means a lot to me to hear people say that they are enjoying this blog! I am having fun and learning so much as I write each post!

Emma

Happy Mom said...

I haven't read this book, but after seeing it on Homeschooling Today's website, I looked up the author's name on Project Gutenberg, the site with all the free e-books. This title isn't there, but there is a book consisting of letters of advice that he wrote to a sister.

I plan to check it out and get a feel for his writing style, and then look into this book.

HTH! Heather

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thanks for the tip Heather! I will check that out!

Unknown said...

Can you please tell me (if you know, of course) if this book is available to be bought outside US? I would love to read it, but I doubt I can find it in Romania. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...