Sunday, November 26

Feminine Finances...

One of the traits that I think every feminine woman should aspire to acquire is the ability to be a good steward of money. This is something that I have struggled with ever since I was a child with an allowance.

When I was a single woman going through college and I worked as a waitress, spending money didn't matter too much. The only bill I had was for car insurance. Once I completed college and became a teacher, I had an income that I was free to do whatever I wanted with. I didn't save at all and bought treats for myself, John, and my family all of the time. After getting married, I was still working and though we were far from rich, my husband and I were able to live very well.

Now that I am staying at home with our daughter and my husband is supporting us financially in an increasingly expensive world, I have begun to realize I am too frivolous with our money. Though I don't make large purchases, all of the little things I "need" add up quickly. When I saw the spread sheet Microsoft Money spit out of our October expenditures, my heart fell to the floor... My household purchases were triple what they were supposed to be.

I am now going to be writing down each item I buy (with the exception of groceries) in a little notebook I keep in my handbag with the hope that I can begin training myself to eliminate frivolous spending. I am going to try to spend as little as possible for the next ten days. Please say a little prayer that I can be more mindful and more feminine when it comes to managing money for my family.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

I said a prayer for you and for me too...I have problems in that category too...

BTW I have on my wish list for hubby a pretty nightgown too...it doesn't come with a robe but I like it...

I hope God nudges both of them to buy gowns... :)

Mrs.Garcia said...

Emma,I will be praying for you in this area . I too struggle in the financial category as well.
Mrs.Garcia

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy your blog!

Love,

Jennelle

P.S. Great idea with writing down and keeping track of things you buy, I need to try that as well.

Mimi said...

Great post, as usual.

Elizabeth

Darlene said...

Emma, I don't know if this will help, but early in my marriage a pastor once told me to put off buying anything that was not a necessity for two weeks. Giving yourself two weeks allows yourself to see how truly needed or wanted an item is while also giving you more time to allocate funds for it. I know, like most of my women friends and family members, those tempting spur-of-the-moment purchases (now matter how inexpensive they may be) can quickly add up. This rule has helped me through the years. I, too, am a stay-at-home mom (of six to be exact) and frugality is probably one of the traits my husband appreciates most. I also wanted to tell you I really enjoy your postings! I love the pictures as well! I have just begun my own blog: Finding Joying in Life's Little Blessings. Come visit and let me know what you think if you get the chance. I hope I've helped. You're in my prayers.

Paula said...

I am going to start keeping better track of where I am spending $$. Sometimes I get a little "comfortable" and spend when I really shouldn't.

Thanks for the good reminder!

MamaBirdEmma said...

Thank you for all the encouragement, ladies! I am feeling very good abut my deciosn to be frugal and not at all deprived... we are going shopping tomorrow for some computer items though;) I'll have to remain strong!

Emma

Mary Ann said...

One way that helps us with our spending is to use cash and the envelope system for each category. I am known to be pretty frugal, but lately I have really relaxed in this area and have made a lot more purchases that weren't really necessary.I need to be more disciplined again. Let us know how you're doing with this; it could help all of us!!!

Kelly said...

I stumbled upon your blog and really enjoy your postings!!! Thank you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...