- First, I try to do any laundry that we may have. I make sure that it is dry and put away so that I have less to do when we come home with dirty clothes from the trip and so that we have clean things to wear when we come home.
- Next, I replace the linens in our house. I put fresh towels in the bathrooms and kitchen and clean sheets on our beds. A fresh tablecloth is also a nice touch.
- I empty garbage cans and waste paper baskets. In addition, I try to get rid of any food that might spoil while we are away.
- I make sure that the baby's diapers are freshly laundered and put in the nursery and that the nursey's diaperpail is empty and clean (I didn't do that one of the times we went away, and you wouldn't believe the smell when we returned!).
- I refill any thing that is empty or close to it... liquid soap dispensers, tissue boxes, toilet paper rolls... etc.
- I make sure that all dishes are clean and that the dishwasher is empty.
- I do a general pick-up of the house and return things to their home (baby toys, books, magazines, mail, etc.
When I make sure that our home is as tidy as it can be before we leave on a trip, I can ensure that we can come home and relax without worrying about little details!